Mountain Home VA Healthcare System
Green Environmental Management System (GEMS)
The mission of the James H. Quillen VA Medical Center is to deliver quality health care to our nation’s veterans. In order to realize this mission however, this Medical Center understands it must operate in such a fashion as to protect the environment, as well as the health and safety of its patients, employees and visitors. To accomplish this mission the James H. Quillen VA Medical Center will commit to the following actions:
- Operating a Green Environmental Management System (GEMS) that meets the requirements of Presidential Executive Order 13423 and the guidance provided by Veterans Health Administration.
- Being a good steward of the environment by complying with federal, state and local environmental laws and other requirement; preventing pollution; minimizing waste; and conserving energy, water, cultural and natural resources.
- Working to continually improve its environmental programs by striving to save and conserve energy and water resources.
- Utilizing and incorporating sustainable practices to eliminate, minimize and/or mitigate adverse environmental impacts.
- Evaluating the operation of this VA Medical Center to incorporate actions into facility planning and procedures to reduce environmental vulnerabilities.
- Integrating pollution prevention, waste minimization, resource conservation into VA Medical Center operations, whenever practical.
- Using natural resources efficiently in an effort to maintain and protect plant and wildlife habit.
- Recognizing that the development and construction at the VA Medical Center must consider the unique conditions of the environment of which the facility is a part.
- Training our VA Medical Center staff, as needed, to assist them with the environmental responsibilities of their positions.
- Soliciting input, as appropriate, from stakeholders including staff, patients, visitors, and the local community regarding environmental matters affecting the operation of the Medical Center.