VA » Health Care » Mountain Home VA Healthcare System » Patient Information » Hoptel/Lodging Program
Mountain Home VA Healthcare System
What is the Hoptel/Lodging Program?
- Hoptel is a VA program designed to provide temporary, overnight lodging accommodations to eligible Veterans, such as non-VA lodging- motel/hotel.
- Hoptel provides easier access to medical care for Veterans traveling a distance of 50 miles or more away.
- A stay in Hoptel is not an inpatient admission; therefore nursing and caregiver assistance is not available.
Hoptel/Lodging Admission Criteria
- A Veteran must travel 50 or more miles from their home to the VA health care facility.
- Veterans must be clinically stable and capable of self-care or be accompanied by an adult individual able to provide the necessary care in an unsupervised setting.
- Veterans must be medically cleared by their VA Provider prior to a lodging stay.
- Veterans must have an early morning appointment or late afternoon appointment to qualify for lodging.
- Veterans that utilize home oxygen must be enrolled in the James H. Quillen VA Home Oxygen Therapy Clinic and meet fire risk safety criteria and have prior approval.
- Note: Breakfast is provided for Hoptel/Lodgers by the non-VA lodging-motel/hotel.
- Other meals/incidental costs are at the expense of the Veteran.
- VA transportation is provided Monday- Friday at assigned times only (VAMC to/from the non-VA lodging-motel/hotel).
How do I request Hoptel/Lodging?
- Hoptel requests can be made up to 30 days in advance of a scheduled medical appointment.
- Veterans can contact the Hoptel/Lodging Program with lodging requests or contact their VA clinic provider or VA clinic staff for completion of a Hoptel/Lodging Consult.
- All Hoptel/Lodging Consults will be reviewed for nightly availability based on the date of receipt of the request and those that meet Hoptel eligibility.
- Hoptel is a lodging program for VA outpatient medical appointments only.
- If a Veteran staying in Hoptel with an accompanying individual is admitted to an inpatient bed, the accompanying individual will need to arrange alternative lodging.
- Monday- Friday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
|Hoptel/Lodging Program||Social Work Department|
|Building 160, Room P-327||OR||Building 160, Room P-344|
|423-926-1171 or||423-926-1171 or|
|1-877-573-3529 Ext. 3545||1-877-573-3529 Ext. 2634|