Social Work - Mountain Home VA Healthcare System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Mountain Home VA Healthcare System

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge

Social Work

Social Work at the Mountain Home VAMC is an integral part of health care. Veterans and their families are helped with problems associated with the stress of an illness and assist them with meeting their after care needs following a hospitalization. Social workers are located in the inpatient, outpatient, mental health, long term care, and community programs.

Health Services Offered

The scope of services offered by Social Work Service includes

  • information, resource information and referral
  • discharge planning
  • outreach to homeless veterans
  • financial assistance referrals
  • assistance with nursing home placement
  • transportation assistance
  • legal assistance referrals
  • home health services
  • housing and community living assistance
  • social assessment, intervention, and aftercare services
  • referral for physical, psychological and/or sexual abuse
  • combat veteran services
  • lodging
  • psycho-social assessment
  • assistance to veterans and family members who want to prepare advance directives and durable powers of attorney for healthcare

Individual, Family and Group Counseling and Treatment Services are provided

  • to veterans needing assistance with interpersonal relationships and social activities
  • to veterans and family members who have problems relating to alcoholism, drug abuse, and other addicted related issues
  • to help veterans and their families understand and adjust to an illness or disability
  • to help veterans and their families cope with terminal illness
  • to family members seeking assistance with commitment, guardianship, conservatorship, probation, parole, and police protection

Social Work Service coordinates the following programs for special veteran populations

  • Community Nursing Home Care
  • Community Residential Care
  • Returning Veterans (OIF/OEF) Outreach, Education, and Care
  • Homeless Veterans
  • Spinal Cord Injuries
  • Visual Impairment Services
  • Homemaker and Home Health Aide Services
  • Contract Adult Day Health Care
  • Organ Transplant Referrals

Contact Info


  • James H. Quillen VA Medical Center

Contact Number(s)

  • 423-926-1171
  • 877-573-3529

Hours of Operation

  • M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.